Because of the safety issues brought about by the coronavirus, the 2020 San Diego Crew Classic was canceled. Therefore the H Del Beekley Foundation will be holding our annual meeting and elections online Sunday April 5th at 4:00pm PST. If you would like to participate please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thanks to everyone who came to the annual meeting at Woodstock’s pizza. We had quite a few former rowers (and current rowers on the team) make it out. Since the team made 25% on whatever we purchased, I’m sure that the team made a couple hundred dollars!
The meeting began a few minutes after 6PM (the scheduled start was 5PM, however, many members requested a delay to watch the novice 8 race in the petite finals)
All 5 officers (Jake Wittler – President, Andy Olson – VP, Jon Singer – Treasurer, Dan Smith – Secretary & Lawson Navarro – Team President) were present, as well as about 20 alumni, a handful of team members and a handful of supporters.
Lawson talked about the status of the team. There are 33 active members of the team (28 rowers and 5 coxswains). The team has been growing the past few years, and the team looks forward to seeing a larger turnout next year. After Crew Classic, there are 3 races left for the team. The team is looking to raise some money to travel to Georgia for the ARCA rowing championships (in a lightweight 4 boat)
Dan spoke about some of the items the foundation has worked on over the past year. We were able to send out more emails to our alumni, we helped organize the “War Games”, where the William Francis was dedicated. From a social standpoint, a bunch of former Aztec rowers went to watch the Padres play last August, and we look forward to seeing you at the SDSU/UNLV baseball game on May 5.
Jon talked about the foundation financials. The endowment fund still has around $11,000 in it, and the “day to day” account currently has about $1,500 available. There are many ways to donate, cash and check can be mailed to the foundation, and we will be happy to provide you electronic routing information.
Andy was looking for ideas on how to get more alumni involved. The foundation hasn’t grown as much as we had hoped. Our long term goal is to generate enough money for an endowment to subsidize a full-time coach’s salary. Some ideas were generated, and will be put into action by the board.
The same board was reelected.
Thanks to everyone who came. We look forward to everyone attending the next meeting: April 6, 2013.
We had a lively meeting on Monday. In attendance was President Jake Wittler, VP Andy Olson, Treasurer Jon Singer, Secretary Dan Smith and coach Brian Robison.
We discussed many topics. Of note, a former coach is interested in coming back to coach the team. The money to make this happen would be raised by our alumni, and much of the money has been committed already. Nothing is set in stone, but the team and foundation are very interested to learn more.
Much time was spent discussing recruiting for the year. The team expects at least 16 rowers back, and they are looking to add quite a few more bodies to the program!
Finally, we have several events coming up:
1) Mark your calendar for the weekend of October 8 & 9. We will be hosting a giant SDSU rowing weekend. It kicks off on Oct 8 with the Aztec War games. Come down to the boathouse and jump in an alumni boat to race the current team. Following that, there will be a dedication for the new William Francis boat, which was donated to the team by Andy Drilling’s family. After the festivities at the boathouse, we invite you to come watch the SDSU football team host TCU at Qualcomm Stadium. We will be tailgating beforehand! Finally, we will be hosting a golf tournament on Oct 9.
2) Day at the Del Mar Races & Anaheim Angels Baseball game: Stay tuned for upcoming dates!
Read the full meeting minutes here
The H. Del Beekley Rowing Foundation Monthly Board Meeting will occur on Monday Night, 7PM at the Woodstocks Pizza near SDSU. All members are welcome to attend.
There is lots to talk about:
1) School is starting, so recruiting season will be heating up. We will discuss the teams recruiting plans and goals.
2) The alumni need to begin planning the “Aztec War Games” event on Oct. 8
3) Some of our alumni have some fundraising ideas to help raise money for a coach.
On June 6, the H. Del Beekley Rowing Foundation board met at Woodstocks. The full board was present. See the full meeting minutes for all the information about the meeting, but here are some highlights:
- Mike Buckel is back as the team president. This will be his second year as president
- The team is expecting to return over 20 rowers, and Head Coach Brian Robison and
- Lots of ideas thrown around for keeping our alumni involved:
- Next Event will be at the Horse Races. Mike Clodfelter will arrange a date. Keep your eyes open for an email from us!
- Dan Smith will look into doing a baseball game with the LA alumni at either Dodger Stadium or Angel Stadium
- A big push will be made for the ‘Aztec War Games’ alumni event in October. That weekend will feature an alumni boat race, a golf tournament, and the SDSU/TCU football game at Qualcomm Stadium. Mark your calendar for October 8 & 9!
As always, keep in touch with us for the latest information!
The foundation held it’s monthly board meeting on May 2, 2011 at Woodstock’s Pizza near SDSU. This was the final meeting of the racing season, as the Men’s team just returned from the WIRA races in Sacramento. In attendance was the President (Jake Wittler), the Vice President (Andy Olson), Secretary (Dan Smith), Coach (Brian Robison), Assistant Coach (Derek Snyder) and former rower Tobin Ortega.
The team did well at WIRAs. Due to new rules enacted by WIRA, the team was only able to enter a novice 8 and a lightweight 4. The Novice 8 had their best result of the season, when they finished 3rd in the Petite Final. They were able to beat teams that they had not beaten all season. (The lightweight 4 struggled, as they broke a rigger in the middle of their race)
Both the team and foundation reported success during the Crew Classic. Alumni Dave Sheeron offered to match up to $1000 raised by the team at Crew Classic. The team earned the full amount, and raised over $2000! Between the Alumni Boat entry fees, and donations, the foundation raised another $670!
Keep an eye out for some upcoming events. We still are planning to have an outing at a Padres baseball game, and we are still targeting a June date for our annual golf tournament!
See the full meeting minutes here, and feel free to join us next month on June 6 @ Woodstocks!